HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - packing out elk w/o horses?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: packing out elk w/o horses?

I hunt with a Cabelas Gun and Bow Pack, and my buddy hunts with a Cabelas Elite Scout Pack (both the larger sizes). Both packs have an external compression unit. My buddy placed the head and rack in his Elite Scout Pack and strapped it in with the external compression, it held it in place great. I could have done a similar thing with the Gun and Bow Pack since I did not have my rifle in the compression unit.

As for the meat, we boned it into the large 3-gallon ziplock bags. This was great as it kept the meat from leaking blood on everything. I then just piled as much as I could carry in my pack and off we went. Had we not found horses to retreive the rest for us, it simply would have taken another trip or two to get all that weight out.

It is important to carefully select what gear you take in, if you may need the room in your pack to take meat out.

I would not carry the whole quarters out. That's carrying a lot of bone and hide you don't care about, and when the one-way hike is 7-8 miles I'm all for minimizing the work.

I did talk to a big dude who once hiked out of there with a quarter electrical-taped to the front and back of him. He did not highly recommend that method!