HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - packing out elk w/o horses?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
wyomingtrapper
Typical Buck

Default RE: packing out elk w/o horses?

I would agree that there is no easy way. If it isn't too far back, quarters on a pack frame will do the trick. If it is very far back, or there are a couple of steep ridges to cross, then I only pack the meat, rack, and ivories. No use taking the bones and hide out, unless your intent on using them. I have found that a flex framed pack (internal or external either way) carries the weight MUCH better than any rigid frames I've used. There may be a few really good rigid pack frames that are a cut above, but in my experience there is no comparison.

Be careful how much you carry. Just because you have the strength to carry 80 to 120 lbs, doesn't mean you should. We are not designed to carry that much weight up hill and dale. It can damage your back, your knees, hips and feet. You might not know the damage for a couple of years, but it can happen. Most bulls or large cows are going to provide 200 to 250 lbs of boned meat. Add the rack to that. Two guys can get that out in two reasonable trips.

Early season hunts are the problem. Get that beast quartered and hanging where it'll be in the shade ALL day, until you can get it all packed out. If you can get it into a shaded draw with running water, the temp will be several degrees cooler than the surrounding area. Getting the hide off of it makes a huge difference in how fast it cools as well. A friend had an elk down a couple of years ago: raghorn bull. He properly field dressed him, split the pelvis, and it sat in rain and falling snow all night. The next morning we started boning it out. It was still hot in around the hip joints. Later season elk will be fine for a couple of days if quartered and hung to cool. In that case, it'll likely cool fine over night and the hide left on will insulate it to keep cool during the day.