HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lost A Buck Tonight!
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
vaslugger
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lost A Buck Tonight!

While reading all the responses I take to heart what some said and some I disagree with.First of all I had about 35 minutes of legal shooting light left and it was cloudy with no sun as rain was coming in next day.It was extremely thick with overgrowth and pine and oaks very close.When the deer came in I had a total of 60 seconds of time to make my decision and my shot as he was right up on me and walking in fast.So I picked the best shooting lane possible and put it behind the shoulder.This is Virginia river bottom not Texas where you watch for 20 minutes.All Virginia boys know what our mountain hunting here his like in the bottoms.Like I said I had about 60 seconds to judge the deer and pick a spot.I do believe the XTP bullet did pass completely through as he was dropping blood about every 5 feet and when he stopped I found about three places where it was over a foot in diameter of blood when he stopped and he was very easy to track by the blood using a flashlight.Once he crossed that river I had to make a decision and it was hard I I knew he was down but I am not going to trespass as the landowners house was only 200 yards on top of hill and I did not want them to see a flashlight moving around on his property.I have been hunting this private owned 57 acres for 10 years and was not willing to risk him calling the landowner I hunt on and losing my permission for future hunting rights.Believe me it was a hard decision decision but the right one so I continue to hunt there in the future as I need a place to take my son and this is close by.This guy has his property posted every 25 yards and I did not need the hassle as to many are after the hunting community as it is and I respect the landowner I hunt on to much to give them any hassels also.And Chap is right as I know a 300 grain barnes might have been a better choice but I know the XTP did pass through.Like they say this is hunting and I am not sitting in a box tower but up against a oak sitting on my tail shooting and I still wont trade that feeling for anything when this time of year rolls around!And going back the next day was not an option as I had obligations the next day but for my future hunting there I made the right decision as the Lord gives us a new day every day to start over! Mike