HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slowing your hunting arrow down?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Mikey S.
Typical Buck

Default RE: Slowing your hunting arrow down?

GMMAT, I'm gonna go with Yooper on this one. I've been trying to follow your arrow posts, but with work and hunting, it's tough to keep up with threads.

I don't get your 2/11 with pass thru. What happened to the other 9 ? Did you kill them? Not busting your stones, just trying to get an idea of what's going on here. Where are you hitting these deer ? PM me if you don't want to post your info again about this. I'm curious as hel about this.

I certainly don't want to sound like a know-it all, but I've taken 42 whitetails with a bow, and can think of 3 that weren't pass thru's. 5 tops if I rack my brains. I don't shoot anything heavy either. 65lbs tops, 400 grain arrow, 100 gr. muzzy, slik trik, or innerloc broadheads since 1993. For5 years after a shoulder injury in 2000, I shot a 55lb. bow with 28" C Xpress 200 arrow at 7 grains per inch with a 75 gr muzzy. 14 deer down with that combo, only one not a pass thru........and that was because the arrow hit a sapling behind the deer and stuck in it. I like you, take most deer inside 30 yds. Maybe 3 in my life over 30. Tops. And those were pass thru's. I've never owned a hunting that shoots over 270, and never figured up KE or FOC.

As far as seeing your arrow, that's a tough one. With your heavy weight up front, you have room to play with a lighted nock. Bright fletchings help too. But I wouldn't recommend developing a habit of watching your arrows fly. That leads to horrible follow through after release, dropping the bow arm, and peeking up out of your peep/anchor point. You WANT to pick your spot/hair on the deer, focus on it, release, and if all goes well, you'll catch the arrow out of the corner of your eye and see the hole appear on the deer.

Anyway, just some food for thought for you. Not trying to change your mind, or disagree with you, just throwing some #'s out there for you.