HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lost A Buck Tonight!
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lost A Buck Tonight!

ORIGINAL: arcticap

The only real problem about abusing the law is if it leads to some form of hunter harassment or interference with a private landowner while they are hunting...or if the landowner has some kind of illicit activity taking place on their land which they don't want anyone else to discover and then oops! it is. Now that's part of what's referred to as the "long arm of the law".
There's more to it than that. I already had a hunting buddy encounter someone this year on private land who claimed to be there tracking a wounded deer (without permission). When asked where the last spot of blood had been, it was of course back on his property....200+ yards away, supposedly.

Basically, it gives someone free reign to trespass during hunting seasons under the guise of following a wounded animal and forces the burden of proof that they are not doing that onto the rightful landowner. You can't just boot a trespasser from your land, you have to get the DNR involved and by then they get to do whatever it was they wanted to do there.

I believe in doing everything possible to recover game (I tracked the last deer I wounded for about 3-4 miles before finally recovering it), but I would not want an Iowa-type law in my state unless the hunter had to call the DNR first, verify that they were tracking an animal, and then the DNR inform the landowner before they ever set foot.