HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - #1 2008 Buck
Thread: #1 2008 Buck
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 PM
ElkNutz
Typical Buck

Default #1 2008 Buck

I have been bowhunting our 3 big bucks really hard but yet to get one of those close. Two weeks ago, I had this buck at 6 yards with my bow and passed on him. I kicked myself all the way back to the truck for passing him. I arrived at our hunting spot, only to have the wind completely wrong to bowhunt my stands. I decided I would try "Juanita" the doe decoy for the first time this year. I grabbed her, my rifle, my pack, and headed to the Double Bull blind. The blind is situated on a funnel next to one of the ponds.
I saw him early in the afternoon just cruising thru with three does and thought about it. Just about dark, I had a spike at 5 feet from my doe decoy trying to be all Rico Swuave'. I was videotaping the spike when I caught movement out of the window of the blind. This buck came charging in thinking he was missing out. He stopped at 60 yards and I dropped him where he stood. I am happy to put a leftover tag on a nice buck but a little disappointed in myself that I shot such a young deer. He had alot of potential and there was better bucks to take out of the herd. He has the same genetics of the 163" buck I shot last year. So I know in another year or two, he would have been a real good one. Oh well he will look nice right next to the rest of them. I got another tag so Hopefully! one of the 170's will cross under my stand. Now, that I got some meat in the freezer. I have forced myself to only shoot one of the big boys with archery equipment.

60 yard shot with my .308 using 165 Hornaday SST handloads.

Trail cam pic of him back on 8-10-08