HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gut shot! Got him. Update below.
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
loogout1
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gut shot!

I can attest to the 12 hour later fact. I shot a good buck 2 years ago in the afternoon, same thing, hunched up, guts on arrow, watched him bed. Backed out, and came back and hunted spot next morning. Awhile after first light I started my search. About ready to gve up, I happen to look across a draw and there he is, with other deer, looking at me. He then bounds off, not looking really hurt, but not normal. Due to work I wasnt able to come back until 2 days later. I found him with the help of the crows at first light. Unfortunately the dogs got to him, but I did find him and I did get a cape and he is on my wall. But he did live over 18 hours that I know of.
ORIGINAL: 11pt

Thanks to everyone who posted their advice, especially jmbuckhunterfor directing me to the recovery thread. I often overlook the threads tacked up at the top of the board. Also thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Oddlyenough, I was killing time at the bookstore this afternoon while waiting for my wife and I was reading the current Peterson's Bowhunting. There was a really good article in there about this exact topic.I can't remember the author's name but he wassaying to give a minimum of at least 12 hours on a gut shot deerbefore trying to recover them. He also had a story about a buck he shot that was still alive when he walked up on him the next day....good article.

In the interests of preventing a kick to the sack for violating man law I have attached the only picture I have. I might still get kicked but it's what I got. It's blurry, but my phone camera lens was fogged (rain). I dropped him off at the processor on the way home because after 4 hours in the rain and dragging the deer about 300 yds uphill alone (that's karma for you), I just wanted to be done with it. I thought he just had little nubs, but he was actually a yearling with both horns busted off.