HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Magnum XTP vs Gold dot
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 PM
sjsfire
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magnum XTP vs Gold dot

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

Todd and Bronko,
First, if you read my original post you shouldnotethat I used a STANDARD XTP 300, not magnum. Second, 54 years of playing these games (although I did not start reloading until 1958) has shown me that what "should" be is not always what is. I am after reliable pass throughs with blood trails, and that has not happened with that bullet. Others may have different results. I once had a Rem 180 RN core-lokt fired from a .30-06 blow up on the brisket of a 130 lb. Pa whitetail. That bullet "should" have gone through him from end to end, but his lungs looked like they had been struck by aload of birdshot. Yet, at the time, that was my favorite bullet for Canadian moose. Stuff happens.

Sabotloader, and SHulionjoined this threadand usedtheir experience to try to help solve my problem.I really appreciate their help. You two on the other hand...

keyshunter, I've never shot a Gold Dot but would like to try them out. If you don't mind me makin a suggestion, try the Barnes 300gr Expander MZ.......pass thru and blood trail problems solved.