HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Public Land Elk or Pronghorn Hunting in New Mexico?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Mac T29

Default RE: Public Land Elk or Pronghorn Hunting in New Mexico?

I'll find out about units 29 &33 for you. I do know from riding down to Ruidoso for the bike rallies that we see a lot of deer in 33going down 70 to Roswell. The best deer i've seen along the way was a 4x4 mulie but he wasn't all THAT big. My friend said he saw a monster this past fall coming back up from Roswell....said he had about a 30" spread but couldn't tell how many points on each side...said he looked pretty tall too. It should be really good for hunting since most of it is farm land on that side of the highway. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to get permission from the farmers to hunt it either.....all you have to do is ask....definately wouldn't hurt. If there is any "BLM" land close to the road you might as well give up on that...there are probably cows roaming on it and who knows who they belong to. If there's any back behind their land you might be ok though....catch the deer coming out of the fields into any draws/coolies in the area. I'll find out tomorrow and post the information tomorrow night.