HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Public Land Elk or Pronghorn Hunting in New Mexico?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public Land Elk or Pronghorn Hunting in New Mexico?

Okay, I'm finally getting it figured out.

Still looks like Units 34 and 36 on first choice elk but drawing odds are pretty bad. Under 10% for a non-resident without a guide on the rifle tags.Units 44/45, 49 and 53 have better drawing odds and decent harvest success numbers (from 14% - 33% depending on unit and season). Some of the late seasons have close to 50% drawing odds but the harvest chances appear to go down after they get a little pressure on them.

I know the Gila units (16A - 16D) have the monsters but the drawing odds are almost beyond hope there for non-residents without a guide. On 16A there were 541 first choice applicants last year fighting over what turned out to be 2 tags!

I had no idea the antelope drawing odds were so bad. Last year it was about 10% for one tag I was interested in and 20% for the other.

Deer actually has pretty good drawing odds but not sure what kind of deer are out there. Looking at Units 29 - 33 and they have over an 80% drawing odds and around a 50% harvest success but I don't know if there are any good bucks in that area or if a 20" spread 145" deer is going to be about the biggest to be expected. If so I probably won't waste my time on that.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan