HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

well, i seen deer!

i threw a drag down while walking through a hay field..my stand is in the bottom corner..figured MAYBE if one hit it, it may come...

tree was VERY difficult to climb..in the dark, it looked fine..but it was a knotted up cherry that was very tough climbing both up and down...got up and had some trimming to do..had 2 saplings about 25 ft high i was sitting above but had to do a little trimming...high, cover, good location...just hard to climb...im up there snapping twigs and getting the pegs in and all that stuff and i hear something in the field...ahhh just a bunny or coon im sure.. bow still hanging 5ft off the ground...i finally turned around coz at that point i KNEW it was a deer...sure enough i turned around and its trotting my scent trail and is about 20yds away and stops...im sure it was a buck..could make out the body but couldnt make out antlers...i figured id use the cover of darkness to get my bow up and get ready incase its a shooter...light is just seconds away...got it up, arrow knocked, quiver hung up and its still sniffing and milling around 10 and 15yds away...right as its breaking light it walked the field edge and cut into the redbrush...i could hear it in there for 5 or 10 minutes...as it was walking away up through the field i tipped the can twice and it stopped but cut into the brush...never seen the deer that was in the redbrush...maybe he was chasing a doe prior to getting to me..

half hour later i hit the horns did some calling...10 minutes after that i see a deer walking down 3/4 of the way down the hay field..walked straight across it down to the redbrush between another hay field..it was a small buck...5 minutes later i look back out into the field and there he is walking back up the field..he hits my scent trail and starts following it like a hound dog...he was a small half rack...i dont even know if he had points...he got about 40-50yds away and decided to cut up and went up the ditch away from me...

8am here comes 2 small game hunters...in the strip along the top edge of the field, up the ditch both bucks went up...figured maybe the deer will double back and end up in my lap...wide open pasture 50yds away they pretty much would had to come by me...930ish here comes the small game hunters down the other side of the ditch...finally seen me and went up and around me...(orange vest around the tree above my head) waited another hour and climbed down...tried finding another tree but no such thing exsists...the tree i was in seems perfect...all the trails and strips between fields and small woodlots funnel into me then it gets kinda big up the ditch the deer went...

seems like its a promising spot...

went to see the buddy before i came home to see if he needed help or anything...he jumped outta the combine and said LOOK AT THIS BOY!!! he points down...BIG ole buck track about the size of my hand...fresh..probably last night...that area recieves a fair bit of bowhunting pressure(its 1/2 mile up the ditch i was at the bottom of..same ditch the deer went up..) kinda decint sized woods, but the oil well workers, plus a couple other hunters keep the pressure on..

time to get back to life and get some school work done......

good luck guys!