HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A day at the range with my 270. (Factory ammo only)
Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 AM
CarpetBagger
Fork Horn

Default RE: A day at the range with my 270. (Factory ammo only)

In all seriousness,I understand what you are saying, but I am not really all that precise in my shooting and certainly I am going to have a cardiac encounter if a big buck gets in front of me. Gun seems to be shooting the hornaday best. Its a Stock Reminton gun with factory loads. I only can use it in a few places i hunt. To get this kind of grouping for me is pretty impressive since i am used to shooting a slug gun for 90% of my hunting purposes. IF I could use the rifle 90% of the time i would probaly be reloading rounds for it untilI could cut bullet holes, but that is just not a very economical investment for me at this point...If I fire my rifle 3 times hunting each yearI got meat for the freezer. I bought this gun last year in a hurry and just threw whatever scope I could afford on it at the time,bought some core-lokt bulletsand took it out hunting. I never had any chance really to play with differentfactory loads to even see if different loads would give it any better performance.I rarely even look at a deer over 200yrds.

I am used to hunting a 30-06 with open sights. The 270 with a scope is a blessing having around a1in group with factory loads without free floating the barrel, or a trigger job, barrel upgrade, or any other mods suits my purposes beautifully...I was just slightly excited about my findings with the hornady factory loads...thanks for humbling me...lol