HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Building my arrow
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Building my arrow

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I had some 3-71's lying around from last year....and I pick up 35gr by simply going to them (now). Took a slight adjustment to my 30yd pin......but otherwise it's good to go for the afternoon.

If I can get to 500gr with the 3-49 (I don't see how) and have enough spine with the 200gr tip.....I'll look hard at that.

Tell me how.
Jeff,
How many GPI are a 3-49, OT2 is showing the shaft alone to be 277 at 27.5", add a nock at 13gr or so --> 290 + 200 in tip weight --> 490 and another 15 with Blazers or 21 with regular vaines, and you're 505-510. The 3-71 are showing to be EXTREMELY heavy spined, even with the 200gr tip weight. Now if you were dealing with a full length arrow, the spine would get close but still he heavy. If you're gonna shoot expandables, probably not as much of a problem, if you're shooting fixed BH's then it will make tuning more of a problem.

I looked at the Easton site, it does look like the arrows are going to weigh less than OT2 says they would, however, for the spining, it should be right, and a little under your prescribed weight will actually give you a little more KE from the numbers I'm punching. You are correct on the weight, OT2 gives you the weight of a full length shaft when you do shaft only. (MY BAD there.) You'd be looking at a roughly a 472-ish grain arrow, but it still appears that you'd have a better speed/kinetic enegy curve at this weight. It looks like you'd gain 1ft/# from 71 to 72 and 15fps from 247-263, with the numbers I'm seeing.