HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt
Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 PM
SWThomas
Nontypical Buck

Default Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

I'm just curious to see what everyone does prior to and during a hunt to ensure as much scent prevention as possible. Here's what I do...

First, I wash everything I'm going to wear (including underwear and socks) in scent free laundry detergent. Then I dry everything using Fresh Earth dryer sheets. Then I place everything in a large ziplock bag with a couple Fresh Earth wafers inside.

Next, I take a shower using Hunters Specialties scent free soap and shampoo. I ensure I use a wash cloth and a towel that were washedwith the detergent and dried with the drier sheets I mentioned earlier. Then I apply some scent free anti-persperant and dress myself in clothes that were also cleaned the way mentioned above. (I don't put on the clothes in the bag until I get to the hunting spot).

Once I get to the hunting spot, I change into the clothes that are in the bag. Then I spray Fresh Earth cover scent all over my clothes and boots. Once my ground blind is set-up, I spray it down with the same spray and hang a few Fresh Earth wafers on it. I also use a lot of vegetation from that area to camo the blind.

Once inside the blind, if I have to relieve myself, I use an empty water jug that I brought with me so as not to spook any deer with the scent of my urine. I also use snuff and I spit into a plastic bottle I bring with me. I'm not sure if the scent of Copenhagen spit would spook a deer but I figure better safe than sorry.

I primarily use a ground blind right now because I have yet to purchase a tree stand. But when I get my Summit Viper SS for Christmas, I'll be using the same procedures.

So what do you do???