HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bucks are on the move... pics
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default Bucks are on the move... pics

Well, I made it back safe from Ohio. The bucks are definitely on the prowl looking for ladies. I shot this guy the first morning and sort of bagged any heavy hunting after that, played some golf, doe hunted one AM and that was about it.

I did a little scouting last time there and found this place. I showed it to my nephew and told him I wanted to hunt there next time. Well the nice guy he is he hung a stand a month ago there for me. Problem was, he's a little more agile, has longer legs and all that youthful stuff. He used my 20 foot climbing stick I left behind but put the stand a minimum of a foot or more higher than the last step. He put it in a small tree. It was only about 5 inches or maybe 6 at stand height. I started up in the dark, got there, dropped my safety vest rope and went back down. Went back up and while pulling my self into this stand the tree starts shaking and I said to hell with it. I don't need a deer this bad. I'm not dying here.

I climbed down, tested the wind and went down wind of my trails finding a nice little wash out about a foot and half deep in the throns and brush. Cut out two quick lanes and sat down, feet in ditch. An hour later this guy with a purpose in his walk, neck stuck out and smoke coming from his nose shows up. I had heard him grunt behind me 10 minutes before, or at least a deer grunt. I was hidden well back ina small black hole. I had my release on the string and the bow resting in my bow holster. I was looking right, thought I heard something and looked left and he was there. I instantly drew, he stopped and turned to lookbut the arrow was gone.... that quick. I didn't get to enjoy it. He was 12 yards away. I saw the sight picture and that was it. The exit hole is higher than the entrance hole. Shot right over his heart. He let out a heck of grunt/bellow when I hit him. My nephew sitting 400 yards away heard it. He tore off into the dangest thicket of thorns and brush like it wasn't there. I had to leave my bow behind and crawl in to follow the blood. He only made it 45-50 yards. Shuttle T did the damn damn on him. The blood on my hand is mine. When I got him all the way out I had many more cuts including a 3 inch thorn slash under my eye. LOL

Measured field dressed weight... 186. G 2's are 10 inches..

Good weekend. Great time. Great story about the doe hunt but later.