HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 12:53 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

good luck Matt....dont give up...you were onto deer and a PILE of does all season...the bucks almost HAVE to be around...maybe somewhere a little different...bedding areas, thick edges, funnels etc...i might not be a world class hunter...but i find edges are almost always a good place to hang a stand...transitional areas where forest ages change...edges of thick stuff, logged areas etc...edge of where the pines or hemlocks meet the hardwoods etc...i never thought about it, but ALL my stands are ALWAYS near some sort of edge or transitional area...like i said, im no pro...and im just REALLY starting to DEER hunt...this is my 10th year of hunting...but the first 7 years were rifle hunting...deer sign didnt matter much...just had to figure out where the deer were going to come through...funnels and escape routes and thicket edges for the most part...the last 3 years i found myself stumped...really struggled at times...this year is no different...i just keep at it and know if i give up, the deer win and i will never learn. i know part of my problem is location...i cant change it as of NOW...but i can change my tactics and stand sites trying to get on more deer or find the bucks...from day 1 i try harder to be on BUCKS than DEER...i love seeing many deer, but i know im not doe hunting, so it can get down right frustrating for me...i just know i gotta keep with it...and stay on the TOP of my game...not letting up on my entries and exits or scent control or leaving stand early or going in late because im bored or tired or just sick of it...

ive said it 10000000 times, "i dislike deer hunting" and i kinda did..sit and wait and pull the trigger and bang..lots of sitting and waiting...exspecially if i was looking for a buck..now that im REALLY deer hunting, im starting to love it.

if nothing else, im proud of myself for having the attitude i have all season. the last 2 years i struggled and some days i didnt wanna get outta bed..was outta stand by 10 or 11 at the LATEST..i just love it and wanna start putting down bigger bucks...and see more bucks more consistantly...one day, i'll be there..i know that...every year the past 3 years ive been doing better than the past...this year i feel as if i platued...only thing left is new locations...kinda hard being i leave for work in the summer..but im going to try to make sure i have atleast 1 new GOOD property for next year...my SGLs and farmlands are shot up and hunted hard...a 2.5yo is still a good buck...anything older is a monster and prettttty rare..