HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Del Sol Outfitters
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 01:51 PM
AlaskaMagnum

Default RE: Del Sol Outfitters

I have done do-it-yourself fly in hunts in Alaska for years. I spend all of my time in a dome tent, because heated wall tents are far too heavy to pack into a SuperCub. I have flown with several pilots. All I considered good, some better than others. I eat crappy de-hydrated food, sleep on the cold ground (sometimes I can bring my Go-Kot), and pump my own water. My backpack always has a cheap tarp that I cut into two pieces. One is to siwash it out at night if I am on a moose and I know I wont get back to camp. The other is used for placing quartered game on while I de-bone and butcher. I bring a -20 bag no matter what, because I would rather be prepared than not. I wear Mendell or Lowa boots because everything else out there is junk in comparison. I wear wool clothing because it keeps you warm when wet. I use Helle knives because you cannot sharpen Japanese steel with a stone. I use a Barney's Sport Chalet pack because it hauls game the best. Bottom-line, I come preprared.

That is wilderness hunting. I would kill for the luxery of a horse and they make me sneeze. Last moose took us eight days until we actually found a bull worth shooting, walking several miles per day.

Problem is guys don't know what they are getting themselves into when they go wilderness hunting. Outfitters needs to emphasize this, and guys need to figure out how to pack.

YOu should also have an exercise program six or eight months prior to these hunts.