HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Del Sol Outfitters
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
shay mann

Default RE: Del Sol Outfitters

ORIGINAL: muley699

ORIGINAL: shay mann

ORIGINAL: muley699

I believe that is the oufitters responsiblity isn't it? To define the parimeters of the hunt and the necessary equipment. Most outfitters have a weight load they enforce at the trailhead and most send an equipment list out to clients. If i were told I would be in heated wall tents i sure as hell wouldn't bring two bags. I've guided, done interior back pack hunts, horse back hunts andI have yet to bring two bags or see anybody else do that for that matter.
You are right however. It is the outfitters responsibility to define the parameters of the the hunt and the necessary equipment. I'm in total agreement with you there. I'm not saying we weren't at fault with the tent issue.
Shay, when i go into the wilderness I have 3 survival concerns: 1. Suffering a serious injury. (Usually, nobody has much control over that.) 2. Getting lost. (should never happen with proper equipment and knowledge, outfitter controls this) 3. Getting cold/wet/hypothermia (also should never happen with proper knowledge/ equipment, outfitter also controls this). I personally think that violating 1 of the 3 no-nos of wilderness survival is rather big deal. Frankly, I would be pissed if i brought inadequate cold weather gear and had to sleep in a dome tent. I can prepare, so long as i know the conditions. Man, when i'm cold, my functional ability starts to deminish quickly, as does everybody's. In my view an outfitter should make the camp so comfortable, that the only thing the hunter need worry about is hunting. I agree if a hunter is not prepared for the mental and physical demands of a true wilderness hunt, they won't be happy, no question, and that is the hunters fault. Frankly, few are prepared for this type of hunt. As far as where you and your buddy were hunting, I think that is not an issue. I also think that too many hunters have unreasonable expectations. However, as an outfitter, camp conditions can take a lot of sting off a disappointing hunt if the camp is supurb. My 2 cents, worth price charged.
I'm in total agreement about camp life being able to take the sting off a disappointing hunt.

Day time temps during that week were in the 80's and night time temps never getting even close to freezing. So, I don't believe we were in violation of your rule #3. Maybe just a tad uncomfortable, getting in and out of the sleeping bag.

With that aside, if these guys were uncomfortable at camp. Then that is my issue, and my responsibility. But besides the tent issue, I know the camp life was great.

If I sound a bit defensive, then maybe I am. When someone says that we just threw someone in an area because it was easy for us, and that we don't care that they have a good hunt. Then I will get defensive. The tent, well, we beat that topic to death. But this was an early September archery hunt in mostly blue-bird weather. So that issue seemed small to me, with the help of heavy canvas tarps.

In-fact, when the guy who complained about being cold was given a tarp, his exact quote was "Problem Solved."