HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - the rut is on in NY
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 AM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: the rut is on in NY

Central NY 7M, haven't seen any chasing yet. Just came back from camp, heading backing down w/ my son after school tonight. Still seeing some fresh scrapes, and a ton of rubs have showed up last few days. In my area once the rubs showup like this its only a few days away.
Here's my take on the rut. I maintain a activity log for past 10yrs on my area. It does usually happen around the sametime every yr. obviously. But it can very by days & wk or two year to year. One thing I watch thats had an effect in my area is how soon or late spring arrives. If springs late, I've found the rut to start later. Perfect example of this is we had a late spring last yr. The rut kicked in the latest I'd ever seen it in my area. Not until day 2 of Reg. season. Weather also effects it, like this warm spell. If it remains warm it'll just occur at night, and we won't see much of it during the day. Also what some don't realize is it may start in your area, but not in my area for days or wk later, and vice versus. The switch just doesn't come on for all of NYS! You can also call your DEC regional office, speak to the wildlife biologists, and he'll give you his findings for yourneck of the woods. I've found them to be pretty accuratein the past.