HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - VORTEX BROADHEADS!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 06:38 AM
Stickemup

Default RE: VORTEX BROADHEADS!!!

Jason,
The blades may seem flimsy, but I can assure you they are not. They are made of spring steel which will flex instead of breaking and they are .032 inches thick. These are some of the thickest blades on the market and have been for ten years. I' ve bent some ferrules on bone, but have never broken a blade. They will cut through ribs without any damage whatsoever. I' ve even buried these heads directly into the backbone (not intentionally) and they have come out perfectly unharmed. The things are tough as nails.

On the penetration issue. I would say, you need a minimum of 60 ft-lbs of KE and a very well tuned bow to get maximum performance, but another very large factor is blade sharpness. Those long blades need to be absolutely positively sharp enough to shave a baby' s butt. No exceptions. The only difference between these heads and any other head is that the blades are longer, so it only stands to reason that the only difference in penetration will come from pushing those long blades through. Get them shaving sharp and they zip through a deer like he' s made of vapor. Make a good shot and you' ll most likely watch him go down. My kind of blood trail.

It' s still a mystery to me why more people with higher KE setups don' t shoot these heads. Every deer I' ve killed with them were out of a ten year old PSE 2050Z set at 61 lbs and 29 inch draw with ACC 360' s and GT 5575' s. Not exactly a huge amount of KE and some of my arrows have been buried in the ground on the other side of the deer. You just can' t ask for much more out of a broadhead and now you can get a 3 pack for twenty bucks. That' s way cheaper than many of the fixed blade heads.