HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The next big thing!!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 PM
renegadelizard
Spike

Default RE: The next big thing!!

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

know some will disagree, but I still think there is a magic caliber out there that will cleanly take deer and elk without taking your shoulder off....
Haven't the .270 Winchester and .30-'06 Springfield been doing this for years?
the operative word here is cleanly...can you kill and elk with a 270 or a 30-06...sure you can, can you do do it cleanly witha nice patch of green between you and the animal??? The problem with these two is that after 300 yards they bleed off speed and energy too quickly, and to get that speed and energy back, you have to move up to something faster and something that recoils harder...that's the issue....furthermore, and on a side note, i weep for those .270 toters...especially those who think its all that...move up to a .280 rem and get some real performance...now the 06, i cant think of a more versatile rifle, i love mine and shoot it as fast as i can make bullets for it, but sooner or later were gonna have to get out of the box and make something even more adaptable...people who swear by the 06 and think there is no reason to make something new cause if it was good enough for pappy and grandpappy and grandpappy's pappy are the same type of people who died in the black plague because there idea of treating it was to open a vien and pour out a pint of blood cause that's that the way diseases have always been treated....