HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - early morning 11/5/08 big buck down PICS ADDED !
Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 AM
nwtrykon87
Fork Horn

Default early morning 11/5/08 big buck down PICS ADDED !

so heres the story.. im a college student so naturally i dont have the amount of time to hunt that i would like, so i decided to go out b4 class this morning.. im hunting a creek bottom flat behind my grandparents house which has been known to hold GIANTS!! i set up a ground blind a few days b4 hand over looking the shelf a funnel (only way to cross the creek is on my property/ steep cliffs for a mile in both directions) i was in the blind at 6 am.. sat there thinking im not going to see anything, and how i have to be out of the woods by 8 to go to class. All of the sudden i hear this crashing right b4 sunup.. and i mean crashing.. i never got to see the 2 bucks fight but it must have been something vicious.. it lasted for nearly 2 mins, then i heard this grunt/cry.. i cant even describe the noise.. it was like something out of a horror movie.. so naturally my attention is completely focused on the flat below me... 20 minute go by and i hear this walking/shuffling.. i think its a turkey.. next thing i knw i see this BIG long beamed 8 pointer coming up the ridge to me.. ears back/hair up.. then he looked at me at 11 steps.. BOTH HIS EYES HAD BEEN GOUGED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean they were gone!.. just blood pouring down his face.. then i noticed he wasnt an 8 pointer at all.. he had 1 beautiful side.. and the other was a palmated mass with 3 points.. naturally i crushed him at 11 steps.. he ran about 60 yards and piled up.. ill post pics as soon as i figure out how to take them off my cell phone.. hes my biggest deer to date.. has a 22 1/2 " left side main beam..needless to say im glad i went out, but just for show of opinion.. did i do the right thing by shooting this animals because he was wounded so bad.. or should i have waited to put my tag on the bruiser that kicked his ass??