HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - thanks democrates
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: thanks democrates

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

While I'm not exactly thrilled over the election results, I'm not ready to push the panic button just yet......What we got is what we got, and we have no option but to live with it for at least four years. We'll see......
Yes. Maybe things won't be so bad.

A new assault weapon ban (AWB) is likely. If you want one, you better go buy one now and all the associated accessories, such as moderate to high capacity magazines. As I understand, in the last AWB previously purchased firearms and gear were not banned but were "grandfathered" in.

What else is in the sights of the emboldened Democrats? Who knows.

I think vigilance and readiness to vocally call Democrats out on proposed legislation is an important part of the game plan. Choosing one's battles will also be important. Obstreperously fighting a mild manner gun control bill may damage credibility with the non-gun owning public (or at least the public that knows precious little about guns and could care less) and innoculate the public against activation when something seriously ugly is proposed -- such as banning "cop killer ammunition," where cop killer is defined to be anything that penetrates average police bullet-proof vests. This last is the measure I fear -- as it would likely sweep up most powerful centerfire cartridges such as the .30-06, .270, .25-06, .243, etc.