HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Missouri MDC continues to push against hunters!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:51 AM
whitetailaddiction
Spike

Default RE: Missouri MDC continues to push against hunters!

It's very hard if not downright impossible to single handedly fight for the rights of nonresident hunters who are the victims of beaurocrats, adminins and politicians who are hungry for power and funding.
As an Illinois resident I take no pleasure in seeing nonresidents getting overcharged by the Illinois DNR. (Dept. of Natural Resources)
This creates opportunity for other state agencies to fan the flames of hunters who are upset about the mistreatment they received and want to retaliate.
There is also an element of apathy and complete dislike for nonresident hunters by home staters.
These things work out collectively to our own destruction.
The outcome is I too get penalized for something I have neither done nor agree with.

How do we reverse this trend?

We need to organize, unify and transcend state lines in an effort to be come advocates for one another.

The following are transcripts of communication between me and MO DOC back in 2001:

Oct 11 2001
Dear nonresident deer hunter:
Our records show that you bought a Missourri nonresident deer hunting permit for the 2000
Missouri firearms deer hunting season. We hope had an enjoyable and successful hunt.

The Missouri Conservation Commission has been concerned in recent years with steadily increasing

nonresident deer hunting prices
in states adjacent to Missouri, and has received numerous
complaints from Missouri residents about the cost to hunt deer in other states. Missouri's prices for
nonresident deer hunting have during this time remained relatively low in comparison.

The Conservation Commission is considering adopting a "reciprocal pricing policy" for deer hunting that

would allow Missouri to charge the same permit fee to a nonresident that his or her home state would
charge for a Missouri residentto hunt. (This reciprocal price would be triggered only when the other
state's nonresident deer hunting permit exceeds Missouri's fee by 25%.)
The current Missouri nonresident any-deer hunting permitcosts $125. But under a reciprocal
pricing policy, an Iowa resident would pay $308 for the permit; a Kansas resident would pay $271; an
Illinois resident would pay $256; and an Oklahoma resident would pay$296.
We're seeking your ideas on this issue. Please take a few minutes to fill out the enclosed questionnaire
and return it in the postage paid self-addressed envelope. This input will help our Regulations
Committee to develop a recommendation for Missouri's Conservation Commission.
Any eventual decision may not please all parties, though we'll do our best to be fair and consistent.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Sincerely,
Xxxx Xxxxx
Fiscal Services Supervisor

My reply:

Reciprocal Deer Tag prices are going the wrong direction.
All states need to lower their prices.
As a Non-Resident hunter in MO, I am already paying nearly tenfold what residents do.
I hunt Spring Turkey, Fall Archery and Firearms seasons. I also do a little fishing now &
then.
Collectively, I am paying in excess of $300 per year and not always filling these tags.
If the prices go up, then I will simply be priced out of the woods, and MO will lose this revenue.
Sadly, I could then honestly say that hunting has become a rich man's sport.
What attracts me to Missouri is that fact that I have family that owns property in the state.
(I would rather hunt private property for obvious reasons.) I also enjoy hunting with
family.
If states want to limit the amount of hunters for safety and conservation reasons, that is
fine, just do it. The outrageous PRICE GOUGING that you have brought to my attention,
looks like PURE GREED to me.
Indirectly, I am being forced to be an advocate for the hunters of Missouri who wish to
hunt in these states at a reasonable price.
I have scanned the letter that you sent me and will e-mail it to the DNR/DOC of each
state i.e. Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma. I will be asking them about the reasons
for these prices.
Feel free to use this message in any way that will help the average hunter.
Respond if you like...I'll be in the woods...I'm afriaid it might be my last year!
An Illinois resident.