HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Jasonlester
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

LOL

If anyone tells you they have never had buck fever they are either lying or have never had a shot at a buck.

Take your time when you get that shot. I heard someone's advice once that I have actually used to repeat "crunch time" or "pick a spot" or something like that to try to focus yourself on the shot and not the antlers in front of you. Alot of times you feel very rushed to make the shot. SLOW DOWN and take you time. BREATH. Focus on the shot as if it weren't a big buck or even a deer. Imagine a target on thier side if you need to. Do not rush the shot. If you are not steady your gonna miss or worse, wound the animal and make it suffer.

It is one of the coolest feelings IMO. Buck fever gets everyone or should. but learning to control it or deal with it until after the shot is the deal. I'm a mess after I know the buck is down. Its commical even to me. Once Isee the deer is down or I no longer have a shot and I know its down, I couldn't make another shot untill I calm down. But I get that with does too.

I took a boy hunting with me last year in my stand. He'd never killed a buck but had gotten one doe. He had my gun and had a half raked buck come up and stand broadside at 30-35 yards for a couple minutes. I kept telling him to get his gun up. He was frozen and never moved until the deer took off. I still call himMr. Freeze. I'll try again this year maybe we can get him a deer. Maybe even a buck.