HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - sst vs. core lokt
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 AM
CarpetBagger
Fork Horn

Default RE: sst vs. core lokt

Im gonna go out on a limb here and probaly get bashed a bit, but there is a story behind my madness.

I feel the quality control and tolerances with core-lokt is lacking, which is why they have that low price tag. Ammuniton is really not advertised that heavily, so when you see a box for $35-$42 your kinda are getting what you pay for anymore. Will core-lokt shoot good and kill a whitetail, absolutly....

Here is my experience. I always hunted with my great uncles 30-06with open sights. I used to shoot 180grain Core-Lokt out of it with no problems and have killed probaly 5 deer with that gun prior to getting my own rifle. Last season i finally put the money together for myselfto get myself a good modern hunting rifle with a scope, this is when i started getting very serious about hunting and spending alot more time in the woods. I got a remmington 700 stainless with leupold scope.

I sighted it in with 130grain core-lokt bullets and was hunting with them as well it was grouping ok at 100 yrds 2". 3 days into the season in WV i had a small 8pt buck walk out in front of me. I decided it was going to be my shooter for the year. I pulled up with the 270 put the cross hairs on him and boom touched one off on him...The deer ran off immediatlyabout 50yrds and crashed down a hill (I actually thoughtI had missed at 1st). Now after a brief search for the deerI finally found him. Bullet hit on one side then it OVER expanded and fragmented all through the cavity with no exit hole. I had taken out the liver which is what killed him.

The very next dayI was shooting for a doe. I had a few step out in front of me and just before it got dark decided that I was going to take one of them. Put the cross hairs upjust behindher shoulder and touched one off. She dropped over like a tree. When i came to the animal i noticed that now i had an entry and an exit hole through the front shoulder with NO expansion of the bullet, it just ripped right through her delivering minimal damage or shock...needless to say i was not impressed by the terminal performance of these bullets in my 270.

I since then have switched over to Hornaday SP and Federal Fusion all of which seem to shoot good and perform good in the animal...I still use the core-lokt at the range to sight in, but when its Me vs Deer, i spend the extra $1 a shot just for the piece of mind...