HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters
Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
City Slicker
Spike

Default Did I commit a mortal sin? attn Veteran Hunters

I will ask the question and please be blunt with your answers.

I'm walking out of the woods in my ASAT 3d camo when I catch a LARGE bodied buck in the very sparse prickers about 10 yards to my left. He couldn't figure out what I was and I froze in the 4 wheeler path.

I could tell, out of the corner of my eye,he was a tall deer and saw at least 3 horns on one side. Again, I'm frozen, nock my arrow and pull to a full draw.

I turn left and its confused and ready to split.

HERES MY QUESTION

The deer was staring directly at me. I could see the how big he was from the white hair I could see on its belly. It has a doe with him and I could swear it had drool on its face. I've got about 3 seconds to make a decision.

Heres my thought process.

If I shoot this deer in the lower part of the chest, it has to hit lungs, heart, orartery...if I missed high, it wouldsplit its neckopen, and if I shoot too low it would be a heart shot. The bucks head if way up in the air with the front and belly exposed.

I shot, aiming middle of the chest, erroring on the lower side and let it fly.Iwait and check out whereI shot and found a big clump of the white hair with the arrow about 10 yards where it took off. The arrow broke10 inchesdown with the broadhead and some arrow stillinside thebuck. Thebroken arrow had blood for another 12-16 inches. I'm now tracking the deer and there are blood splurts every 10 feet or so.The blood isbright red and is puddling in certain spots. after about 30 yards of tracking it through the golden rod it comes to some hardwoods. Theblood trail is now extremelyhard to see with all the leaves. I'm able to track it another 30 yards and loose the blood trail.I seemed to get weaker once in thehardwoods. I've been backtwice to scour the areaand have come up short.

Am I way off basis thinking of taking that shot?Please educate me.

Thank you for your help.