HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - newbie questions
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Soilarch

Default RE: newbie questions

I was just recently, (well, I still am I guess) in the exact same position. Here's what I've gathered on the subject. YMMV

1. You should "try" to shoot as many as possible. Most of us compound-shooter-converts will seem to shoot a recurve better. If you like the 'looks' of a longbow there are a few that have lonbow-limbs with a recurve-type handle. For me this wasn't an option. BUT I DID ask to pull on a few RH (I'm LH) to get a feel for what 50# feels like on a trad bow. I'm used to a very very smooth 74# compound. 50# will be pushing it but it is what I've got on order. Figure I'll grow into an extra 3-5# pretty quick...and I'll be on very high guard about keeping practices short and not developing the bad habits from the get-go. I would never go over 50# for a first one...I'm pushing the envelope but I found a good used longbow at a heck of a price so it's the route I'm going.
2. You don't need to spend a minimum of $XXX to get a good bow. Like mentioned, a lot of it is in the name...and a lot of it is in the woods that are used. Pretty doesn't equal performance.
3. Look for used bows. Trad shooters have just as many bows as compound shooters and they're always trading-out and switching up trying to find the elusive "perfect" one. PM for some sources, I don't remember the forum rules here about posting links since I don't post here too often anymore. Often times you'll find a bow that was 'tested' for a few shooting sessions for 60-70% of 'new' price.
4. Find someone, anyone to give you some pointers. The principles are the same...but the mechanics are completely new.