HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - rattling in Pa.?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:48 PM
HuntingBry
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rattling in Pa.?

ORIGINAL: early in

I live in SE Pa as well. I would never rattle here in Pa because of the skewed duck to doe ratio, like you said. These bucks don't really have to fight over the does. I don't think I've EVER heard bucks battling where I hunt. I think it would hurt more than help. JMHO
This is where I disagree with you. While I agree that the buck to doe ratio is out of whack I know that the bucks still fight. Whitetail bucks aren't like heard bull elk where they keep their harem and are content with that. They chase down and breed any doe that is willing and ready. So when there is ONE doe that is hot, it doesn't matter if there are 1,000 other doe in the area every buck in that area will be after that hot doe. That is why you'll see a large number of bucks when a hot doe is around. They all want her. Because of this when they get around that hot doe they will fight. Now because the buck to doe ratio around here is so disproportionate when a buck is cruising there is a greater chance that he will find a doe and be able to breed her uncontested. However, when more than one buck gets on a hot doe fighting is likely. I saw 2 bucks just yesterday with broken headgear. The buck I shot last year had his main beam broken off at his G3 and his G3 was busted on the other beam. So, I know they fight.

With that said, I've never had great luck with rattling around here, but I do mostly blind rattling. I certainly don't think it hurts if you are after mature bucks and could pull one in if he thinks there may be a hot doe around.

Just my 2 cents.