HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need to vent.
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 AM
MISwampDog
Fork Horn

Default Need to vent.

Sorry for posting a vent post, but i need to let it out. i work in detroit, mi. my hunting property is three hours north in houghton lake michigan. i make the drive at least once a week (and several times twice a week) to get a chance of seeing a deer. now, how do you like this stuff that has happened to me.

1. i usually hunt state land which means i use bait. the michigan dnr decided that there would be no baiting in michigan this year due to a case of CWD that was found four or five hours from where i hunt. now it would not be a problem if i could hunt the deer trails...however i only hunt a small area because my area is choked with hunters. the closer we get to gun season (which is two weeks away) the more crowded it gets. so...i don't have much of a choice. to say the least i haven't seen anything on the state land.

2. now that i have a good job, making some money, my dad and i bought property. i thought that it would solve problem # 1. however, the 20 acres we got is currently being select cut (deal made with the previous owner). with loggers on the land from sun up to sun down the deer aren't moving. i have not seen a deer since october 4th (and i have hunted it over a half dozen times). to make matters worse the deer have changed their travel routes since the loggers (had access to hunt the land last year and learned where they went).

3. talking with my pop, i found out that the loggers are still on the land and won't be done till just before rifle season (nov 15th). my two week vacation starts on nov 7th. i had planned on hunting the entire time, morning and night. doesn't look good.

again i am sorry for going off, but i just needed too. guess i'm hoping that my fellow deer hunters will have some sympathy for me. i am not usually this disgruntled. i guess i should count my blessings that i will have two weeks to hunt and that i have my own land to hunt on. i'll post somthing if all this mess was in vain and i shoot a deer. thanks again.