HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My new flushing dog
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 PM
NJheadhunter71
Typical Buck

Default My new flushing dog

He is 11 months old andis an Italiancane corso dog (corsing mastiff) and part of an ancient breed of mollosser and closely related to the Canis Pugnax or Roman wardog. They were used inItaly for hunting, farm protectionand heardinga long long time ago and just like alot of todays sporting dogs most if not all have been removed from the field to become family pets. I have been training him for squirel, rabbit and just about anything uplandthat can be hunted. Ialso started him onbeing a catch dog forboar but because I don't have any in my state it may just be a waste of alot of trainingasI have beenusing a piglets head on a rope. I started him at the local range at 12 weeks oldto make sure he wasn't gun shy and low and behold he never batted an eye at the sound of a shot or a leaf blower or even a chainsaw.He has awsome prey drive and loves toretrieve and return the kill (still need to work on drop command a little). He gets really excited when I break out a gun thathe almost knocks the door down. My only issue is being out there with other hunters and the fact that he well, looks like hedoes and a far cry to what people are used to seeing in an orange vestwith a bell on in the field. For now we have just used a pellet gun and he is ready for live fire this year. Its really cool to see him work and tree. He is sort of on the same lines as a Dogo Argentino that is used in Argentina for boar which you may or may not have seen on some hunting shows. He is115 pounds and very agile for his weight.As far asI know I am the only one doing this for small game with this dogand would like to hear from others if they know of someone else who is.Heres a couple pics with some more field photosto come.