HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Poundage question from a 31 y.o. woman....
Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 PM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poundage question from a 31 y.o. woman....

The Trykon Sport is a great bow. My girlfriend shoots the same one... still trying to get her on a deer. She had a giant in her lap last saturday... she was looking left, deer came in on her right and from behind her... she never saw it until it was 8 yards away.... she had one chance.... but the deer went behind a big oak instead of in front of it.... it would have 23 yards if he went in front... instead it was 29... she made a good choice and passed.

Rebecca is pulling 42#s, has a 26" draw length (and that has a lot to do with how much ummpph your bow will produce.... If I were to shoot 42# at 29" compared to her 26".... I'd likely be shooting 40fps faster with like weighted arrows). Reb shoots Easton FMJ 500s with 125 Simmons Sharks, a two blade Cut on Contact head, modeled after the best penetrating design God ever built.... a great white shark tooth. Its a good, heavy arrow... she gives up a little speed, but she gains plenty of stealth and plenty of extra punch to make sure she gets through both lungs and into the offside shoulder.

Honestly, when you compare 38 and 42#s..... there isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference (unless you cannot pull the greater weight.... then its a HUGE differece!!!) . If you are going to keep your shots under 20 yards, just so long as you place it well, and are very patient on following up the blood.... no problems at all.

When it comes to keeping warm... being a duck hunter and having a 5 foot 4 inch 105# girlfriend who would rather duck hunt than eat,I'm a master at such things.....if I wasn't good at keeping her warm.. I'd end up handing over every stitch of clothes on my body to her and I'dfreeze myself....here are a few of my secrets....

Next time you are in the wal-mart or the super market, head into the pharmacy section and get ahold of a couple packs of those single use peel and stick heating pads designed for folks with chronic back pain, the ones that react with plain air when you take them out of the package and last about 10 hours or so. Take one of those babies and stick it right slam on your spine in the small of your back or just below your shoulder blades. It could be 40 degrees and you'd be fine in little more than a pair of thermals and a sweater.

Also, it's a little spendy... but if you haven't ever tried or considered Under Armor cold gear... it is worth every single penny.

Finally, and this is a big big big secret that nobody has hardly ever tried or heard of..... lots of folks, especially use webfoot whackers keep a thermos of coffee on hand to warm up with.... I'm not a coffee drinker myself.... and coffee is really just like light beer.... might take your mind off being cold... but it just makes you have to pee a lot. Rather than a thermos of coffee, and old waterfowling friend of mine tipped me off and suggested I carry a thermos of heated BEEF BROTH (swanson or the like). Make sure its beef, not chicken. There is just something about hot beef broth that litterally warms you up right down to the bones.... next to a campfire or a wool blanket... its right at the top of the heap.