HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pa Game Comm. Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 12:51 PM
fmedic5

Default RE: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

I admit I have only read a fraction of this thread as I just started reading it today. So, if its been touched on already, I apologize in advance. First as far as the insurance companies go, West Virginia and Michigan both are higher ranked in deer vs car accident states, we still top off the list at #3. Now insurance companies figure in all sorts of accident scenarios for all motorists, stats on single vehicle, multiple vehicle, etc all go into the mix. If you want to reduce the deer vs car issues, in most areas you need to reduce the deer heards. Many of these accidents occur in residential suburban areasnot it true rural areas (while that also happens, just drive I80 from the Deleware Water Gap to the middle of the state and you can't count the number of deer on the side of the road this time of year on one hand). Anyway, a certain Bucks County (Eastern, PA) township actually spent $500,000 (yes, of hard earned tax payers dollars)! to have snipers come in and shoot the deer from a residential area because the population is such that they were experiencing daily car vs deer accidents and people "wanted something done" until bambi and his mother were shot and then they didn't want anything done....but that is a different story for a different post. My point of all this is simple, there needs to be some change to have some results. One thing that I personally see as a benefit would be to open hunting on Sunday. I am from NY originally, I work a f/t Monday - Friday 9-5 HA! job, I cant hunt the peak rut because darkness falls before I leave work, this leaves me Saturday only. The numbers would increase and deer taken on Sunday's reported - we all know that people hunt private land on Sunday, I am not acusing anybody, but I know it happens. Deer sits until Monday for processing and nobody saw or says nothing about nothing. The number of actual deer reported would increase with the implementation of legal Sunday hunting. I don't have my own land to hunt, I don't hunt Sunday, but I am sure there are many out there that do. Plus, the HS courses harp on how each year fewer and fewer hunters buy tags (so our costs will increase) and that it is going to be a dying ( no pun intended) sport. For all those parents that want to take their kids out between school, soccor, football, etc. this time of year, they only have Saturday and any kid playing other sports wont have the exposure because of lack of time. I have rambled enough, stepping off the soap box and passing it on to the next person.

P.S. Insurance companies do not want to pay claims, they arent happy when they have to pay claims, but they do have to charge to cover those claims or they dont exist next year. It's called their Combined Ratio