HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Poundage question from a 31 y.o. woman....
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Mr. Finkelhiemer

Default RE: Poundage question from a 31 y.o. woman....

Resistance bands, some weight training, even pushups, will help build up that extra strength. My wife just got her first bow this year and we had it cranked all the way down 32 lbs as that was as far as it would go. After months of shooting on a regular basis, she is lsowly turning up the draw weight. Live2Draw is correct in saying that repetition is the way to go. Remember you are using both a push and a pull movement to reach full draw. Strengthing up your triceps, biceps, and shoulders would make this task much easier. Especially when it is cold. I have met quite a few woman who have killed plenty of deer at 35lbs of draw. Remember, the cold tightens up your muscles and also fatigues the body.I knowsome of us arebrand loyal in some instances, but you might check out a easy pulling single cam. Doesn'tmatter which. I know hoyts pull smooth and they feel great on release,but some of your single cam set ups will feel much lighter at the draw. Well I wish you the best of luck whatever you try to do.Try placing a handwarmer on your drawing shoulder while you sit. This will keep you fromtightening up before the big moment. I have done this on several ocassions and found it works for me.

PS- My wife couldn't do push ups unless she did them from her knees. She can now do regular push ups and this I beleive is the reason drawing has become alot easier for her.It is great to hear another female archer sounding off. Good Luck!