HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Poundage question from a 31 y.o. woman....
Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 AM
drevilsmom

Default Poundage question from a 31 y.o. woman....

I bought a Hoyt Trykon Sport last year and even went out with it several times on our farm. I was ground hunting as we did not have any bow-friendly stands at the time. I was able to sight in on a small fawn at about 20 yards, but refused to fill my tag as we neededmore meat (and only 2 deer between my hubby and me) and gun season was starting in less than a week. I had no problems shooting 40 pounds since I kept moving and warm.

I got to go for the first time this season yesterday. Big difference! For one, it was COLD (for us at least) at only 42 degrees, so I was wearing bulky clothes. No problem since I practiced before I went out, and it didn't seem to interfere. What was frustrating was that I did not realize how much just sitting and being cold would affect how little I was able to pull after only a little more than an hour on the stand. I just could not pull my bow at all! Would it still be ethical to lower my poundage to 35-38 pounds? I shoot fixed broadheads, and even though I practice out to 35 yards, I will not take a shot over 20 yards. I realize that I will need to retune my bow, but I have done that before, and I don't mind. I'd always told myself that I would not go hunting if I could not pull at least 40 pounds, but even with regular practice, that has still beensomewhat of astruggle. And to add to the fact that getting cold caused me to stiffen up a bunch, I feel like buying the bow was a big mistake since I feel I cannot make an ethical shot. I'm pretty slender at 5'9" and only 135 pounds, but really like the outdoors and was tired of trying to hunt during the high pressure of gun season. What do you guys think?