HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bedding area
Thread: bedding area
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 11:56 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bedding area

I think half your battle has been won, you have found a main trail (highway if you will), food source and possible bedding locations. I would now start looking for what I refer to as bleeder trails or trails that are not as heavy as the main but often intersect in different locations or run parralell. These trails will be the ones your bucks and even other deer will use to get to and from their bedding areas. I like to set as close to the bucks bedroom as possible and in early bow season half way point is good solid advice. I will set up on the " bleeder trails" or intersections with the heavy trail. I prefer to never hunt the main trail for a couple of reasons, less eyes, get busted may possibly blow the whole area and higher % of mature buck activity (I have found the mature bucks tend to take the road less travelled). I would also suggest you spend a few night long distance scouting the food sources, this should give you a gauge at whats entering, where and how. Now is the time to try and find those hot spots by walking the woods and as with hunting do so only on a good wind...pressure is an enemy to patterning deer, especially mature ones.

All in all sounds like you have gotten yourself in a decent spot, just need to refine and adjust as the season changes. Don' t be affraid to move around come season and follow the patterns, they often change with their life stages (such as: birthing/summer, bachelor groups, pre-rut, rut and post rut). Summer scouting lets you who is there, etc and it may buy you a early chance but more often than not it is just the base to finding that " Honey Hole" .