HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bedding area
Thread: bedding area
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Rack-attack

Default RE: bedding area

It sounds like it could be a productive area - but not because of the beds. Being so close to the fields I suspect it is not a major fall time bedding area and more of a nigh time area. Though in summer they can bed anywhere - so don' t let the summer sign fool you.

Any thick area close to a food source can produce deer. But the mature bucks will most likely have a hid out much further from the fields.

To get a real good grip on your deer patterns you need to locate the areas the deer use as their main daytime beds. The higher the pressure the further from the food and the thicker. The " areas" they most often return to on a regular basis and retreat too when the pressure heats up.

When you find these areas then you can formulate a game plan to intersect them entering and leaving the bedding areas as Kevin1 said. To me a few beds is not enough information to formulate a plan.

Bedding areas are IMO the MOST important ingredient in taking bucks. So much in fact I have simplified my strategies to completely revolve around them - with ALL other sign and patterns a far second.

So once you find a few main bedding areas half the battle is won