View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Not much inline pressure in our part of 2F

Just spent 2 1/2 days in and around ANF territory in 2F and saw three seniors with high powers but no inline guys except our group of 4. We have one with a peg leg and one with a bad heart so we did short hop drives along easy level areas near the roads and didn't run into a single othermuzzy hunter.

We put out deer on half the drives but two of the shot opportunities were bucks and two more shot opportunities weren't taken because the foliage made it tough to be certain that those deer weren't packing horns too.

A good hunt, no kills but plenty of sightingsand plenty of signin an area thats supposed to have no deer if you listen to the crowd at the local tavern.

The best buck we saw was an 8 point that probably went 105"-110"
The wind noise allowed me to walk up to within 15 yards of him while he fed.

i was out FOX hunting in my yard last night,man, those FOX do come into a call, i am hooked now on FOX hunting.season opened yesterday .

as for why i saw more hunters this year with in-lines with kids in WMU2Gis this.

i happened to hunt with a school teacher friend from lock haven high school.

he said he had more kids off school thursday/friday this week vrs last year,do too the early oct doe hunting.

the reason is he said,THEY STOPPED THE DOE HUNTING IN WMU2G FOR FIRST WEEK OF DEER,so kids wanted their DEER JERKYand were going to get it early.

that is why the number of vehicles i saw road hunting was triple of what i saw last year grouse hunting.

i bet i stopped over 20 while hunting grouse or they stopped to ask me where are doe ?i hunt along roads in culverts .so, i get to OBSERVE and TALK to a lot of hunters.

in almost every vehicle the rifles/in-lines were at ready in front seat.

MANY said this is how they kill their GROUSE/SQUIRREALS.

remember i said,TO kill today in WMU2G ,you have to cover territory.

the hunters are not stupid, they are good at killing and are not wasting their time walking around NOT SEEING ANYTHING.like SPROULE

i happen to interview a hunter that was at camp in clinton county for a WEEK of doe hunting.

he said,SPROUL I SAW 3 DOE FOR 6 DAYS OF DOE HUNTING in the best area WHILE SITTING IN WOODS DAILY.

he moves around too,does not hit same spot as I DO each year.

this is first year,so far,that SPROULE has not seen a BUCK.

NOT A ACORN ALSO.

a DCNR friend,yes, i have some friends in DCNR but they have grit.

he told me he is seeing very few large racks this year ,compared to last 2 years.

he said 2 years ago, big racks but very few this year in wmu2g,clinton/potter/cameron.

only people i feel are getting a deer ,is the road hunters that are doing it from 6 am to dark daily, they are really working hard to get a doe.[:@]

a friend told me he has 2 doe left in his hunting territory,yet he said he had PICTURES on his trailcamof 5 different hunters in that area with IN-LIUNES trying to kill those last 2 doe.

he said he cant understand why hunters will hunt until all doe are gone.

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE THAT OUT ALSO AND ITS SIMPLE.

meat/filling cost of tag is what is important now.

ALSO, WE DID CATCH A POACHER,but only could get him for spotlighting after hrs.did you notice that most hunters are afraid to turn in a POACHER as they could burn your home downyes, i get those comments also.

folks, we got to start taking their guns away when this happens and vehicle too.

lets get active and get our reps to get togher, new updates are a little tougher but not enough.[:@]

if INFO i am getting is true,POACHING is happening do to meat prices.[:@]

so, there it is.this ,so far, is WORST year i have had hunting in WMU2G

I have some bad news for ole Sproule. Unit 2G has one less doe then it had a week ago.

I had a couple of DMAP permits so on Tuesday morning, my day off, I headed out to a spot on a 2G DMAP property. I had a stand of oaks in mind that I wanted to hike into and see if there were any deer feeding in them. I was less then half way to the oaks and less then a fifteen minutes from my vehicle when I spotted two deer feeding along toward some think laurel. The front one was a large adult doe that made the mistake of walking into an opening about 60 yards away. When I removed her jawbone it turned out that she was a 3 ½ year old.

I went out the next evening, as soon as I got off duty at 5:00. That hunt was in unit 2F though. It took me an hour and five minutes to harvest that adult DMAP doe there and the first half hour of that time was the bicycle trip in to where I actually wanted to hunt. That doe was 4 ½ years old.

Your right about the poaching problems though, it does seem to be worse this year then I have seen in a while. What I am seeing though are guys that can’t seem to resist the temptation of the nice bucks they are seeing.

Dick Bodenhorn