HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Kel-Tec P-32 review
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2003, 07:22 PM
frizzellr
Nontypical Buck

Default Kel-Tec P-32 review

Yes folks, this is an actual gun review. Not what you are used to in the Firearm Review Forum but here goes anyways.

I had been doing some research on " mouse guns" lately. I was interested in finding a handgun that could be easily concealed, was light to carry and wasn' t a 25 ACP or a rimfire. I came across the Kel-Tec P-32. It is a semi-automatic, DAO, locked breech pistol, chambered for the 32 Auto cartridge. The specs looked good and the reviews were favorable so I looked for one at my local shops. I found one and looked at it. It seemed to be put together well but it was very light. $269 later and I had it in my pocket. Sunday came and it was off to the range to try it out. I took along a box of 60 grain Winchester SilverTips and MagTech 71grain FMJ. The first thing one notices about this pistol besides its small size is its light weight, even while fully loaded with 7 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber. As a matter of fact Kel-Tec claims it is the lightest 32 made. While the small size and light weight of the pistol made it easy to conceal and carry, they are somewhat a disadvantage while shooting. Since the P-32 lacks a mechanical safety, the DAO trigger is deliberately long to help prevent accidental discharge.The sights are not really sights but sort os a strange notch in the rear of the slide and a short blade on the front. This pistol is to be pointed, not aimed. With practice however I think one would be able to keep all shots center of mass. I was able to keep all shots on an 11" X14" paper target at 10 yards but just barely. Was it the guns fault? Not entirely I am sure. Besides, it was never intended as a target pistol. It is a last ditch defensive arm for those times you can' t carry your main weapon. Both types of ammo functioned flawlessly in both slow and rapid fire. Recoil was not bad at all considering the weight of the gun. Yes I know, what recoil, its a 32. Yes but it is a 32 that weighs about the same as your cell phone. At any rate, anyone looking for a highly concealable, lightweight backup should really look into this pistol.