HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullets fly at illegal Lanark deer hunt
Old 06-16-2003, 07:07 PM
GrumpyTom
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bullets fly at illegal Lanark deer hunt

Turk_man they might have been able to kill them in January, they might not have been there at that time. The farms in question might not be in the wintering grounds. Actually most prime farm lands do not winter deer. Do not get me wrong, I am not supporting or attacking what they are doing, I do not know enough about it to voice an educated opinion. But I have seen what deer can do to a farmers field and his livelyhood (his crop).

This farmer solved his problem with some very active hounds which he let go for a run evening and dawn. The deer just moved to another farm, but his crop was saved to where he could make a living with it. But guess what, letting his dogs run loose is a serous offence acording to the MNR.

My question is this. If they have been trying for over 5 years to get some action from the MNR to lower the deer herds, how come the MNR does not have good data on the herd size and what problems the local farmers are having? Is that not the job of the MNR, to check into problems like that and then try to solve conflects between animals and people?