Thread: tight groups
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tight groups

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: ww874

I did some shooting today and found a load that shot pretty good but my shots would go like two within a 1/2 inch in the bull then the third 1 1/2 to the left. Three3 shot groups did the same thing, pretty much had 2 ragged holes unfortunately 1 1/2 inches apart. I also shot the same load with rem primmersand those groups seemedmuch more consistant around the bull. Any thoughts?
Yep. Many loads will perform quite well with one brand of primers, and not so well with some other brand. Looks like maybe your load likes Remington primers. You might try that same load with a brand other than the two you've used so far. Who knows what the results might be??
Eldeguello is quite correct with what he said. There are many, many variables in reloading and tweaking loads to get that just right group. Primers are on. Powder charge weights ate another, type of powder, bullet, and seating depth are some others. Without knowing what you are shooting, and where you are in the load development, it's hard to say for sure what the problem is. I have had the exact same situation as you describe happen. Sometimes it corrected itself with usually an increase in charge weight. If you are, however, at or near max charge now for your bullet/powder combo, you will need to approach this very cautiously. Oftentimes a switch in powder or bullet weight or type will help a lot.
It's usually a bit of a challenge at times to find that "magic" combination your gun likes, but then again, that's what it's all about......