HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much blood does a deer have in it?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 12:19 AM
kodiakhuntmaster
Nontypical Buck

Default How much blood does a deer have in it?

This morning, my neighbor asked me to help him track a buck he shot but couldn't find. The shot was a pass through at 40 yards,showed me the arrow and it didn't look like a gut shot. He said the deer didn't react to the shot, it just walked away. He tracked it several hundred yards before getting me (when the deer crossed onto another neighbors property that I have permisson to hunt).

Here's the thing I don't understand... It was the best blood trail I have ever seen. It was steady, wide, and very consistant. The blood was bright, and in places had bubbles. Not bright like pink, but certainly not dark. From the trail, it looked like it was shot by a .300 win mag. I kept telling him, that deer had to be right around the next bend, because deer just don't have that much blood in them, but this thing appeared to be spilling gallons. And the trail went just like that the whole way. It traveled for probably a mile, and then, 2 hours after the shot, we jumped the buck. It started raining hard, and he marked where the last blood was, he's going to look for it tomorrow.

So I guess I have two questions, how much blood does a deer have in it? And where in the world can you hit a deer that drops that much blood, but the deer lives for over two hours?