HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - More topo strategy...
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More topo strategy...

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I was gonna guess 100yds....then I looked at the scale. That's about right.

But if they come down that gulch....and I'm to the N....I'm hosed!
Not necessarily... And for 2 reasons, number one, thermals aren't going to carry your scent that far or shouldn't unless they have pretty significant wind helping them, and if they are down in that deep gulch, there's a good likelihood, there may be and updraft moving north through it as I get in a lot of the ravines around her, regardless of what the prevailing wind is doing. Also, you can use that wind in your favor and let it carry a little attractant/curiosity scent towards the deer, maybe increasing your chances of an encounter. No going back to the map, I'm going with my original spot I said I would've gone, only maybe a little further south of it if you really are concerned about the wind.

Jeff I don't hunt the wind anymore, and I see a lot of deer when I'm out on the places I've scouted well. If you bathe in a low-odor or scent killing soap, and use a scent free detergent on ALL of your clothes, you can get away with more than you think. I'm actually glad to have a little wind blow from me TO where the deer are, because then I can mist a little scent their direction that my put them in my lap. The things I've found that make the BIGGEST difference, are wearing a facemask, and keeping my gear separate from where it can get dog hair/dander or whatever on it. Mainly I mean my boots, since everything else goes back into a duffle bag unless it's wet when it comes off, then they hang to dry and back in the bag they go. I also am thoroughly impressed with the Silver Ion Antimicrobial base layers as they have also made a bit of a difference for me IMHO. If you don't chew, don't worry about it, but I've also noted that on at least half a dozen occasions, deer licking up my spit puddle beneath my stand, which I don't consider a "reason to chew (loose leaf, not snuff/dip))," but I don't worry about it at all either.