HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What age to start children hunting?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
GrayDawg
Fork Horn

Default RE: What age to start children hunting?

I'm the father of 2 boys- 6 & 10. I've introduced both my boys to the sport of hunting and tried to instill my love of the outdoors in them. They each have their own bow & we shoot in the backyard on occasion in the summer after dinner & on the weekends.

I've tried very hard to make them aware of hunting and what it offers me as a person & why I enjoy it. However, I will not force them to go hunting with me. They have to want to go- they have to have a desire to participate in the activity. Just like I wouldn't force either of my boys to play hockey or football- I won't force them to hunt either.

I will make it very easy for them to hunt if they choose to engage in hunting as a sport. This can be done via short sits in a blind during late afternoons for starters. as this doesn't require them to wake up too early or get out there in the dark when it's cold. I will make sure my boys are able to draw the poundage required & are accurate with that draw weight
prior to taking them huntingonce they are expecting to bring their own bow.

But even getting them out there for the first time shouldn't be a push- at least in my opinion........ as it could have long term negative affects.

Rob