HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Line of Sight - Line of Bore Qn.
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 PM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Line of Sight - Line of Bore Qn.

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

IMO what got you thinking about this was the post you had on the Encore base being tilted downward because of the barrel taper(with the longer base). IMO that post was erroneous because the base is NOT pointed downward becuase of barrel taper. I think that guy just made that up. Tom.
Really? The base is NOT pointed down? So you have examined that individual's gun, AND mine, and determined this? Or you are just the typical internet know-it-all who speaks authoritatively without any actual knowledge of the subject? So tell us...the scope is bad, the mount is bad, or the solution is always shooter error and you know this HOW? If a gun is shooting low, something is out of line, so by all means with no actual experience with the equipment involved do tell us how you work your magic from hundreds of miles away...

The truth is, you know nothing of the situation and are relying solely on assumptions. Assumptions with no basis in either fact or experience. When you actually own or have ever mounted a scope on one of the guns in question, come back and play. You "think" I made that up, just like you "think" you know everything about the mounting surface of TC guns without ever having worked with one.

Ever notice how you can crank the elevation on a scope from top to bottom and the reticle always appears the same? That is because it is. It is permanently etched, unchanging, on the internal glass. The horizontal crosshair never moved with relation to the vertical crosshair. This piece of glass is mounted inside an internal tube that move up or down, left or right, as you crank the turrets. When the tube hits the side of the turret, you run out of elevation or windage. This is why a 30mm tube has more adjustment than a 1inch tube. The scope can be then mounted parellel to the bore, yet you get the angle because of the angle between the INTERNAL tube and the barrel.

I think some people get confused when you say "the bullet never rises". It depends on your point of reference. If you say "the bullet never rises with reference to the line of the bore", you are correct. But if you are the shooter, the bullet indeed rises above your line of sight to the target because the bore will be angled up to account for the drop. Battleships arc shells a few miles in the air en route to target, so with relation to the ground they certainly rise. But they never rise above a line drawn straight out of the bore.