HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Nameless Assassins Thread (45)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Huntinlady
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team 45 Thread

Well guys after a long sleepless night on friday- I found up this guy saturday afternoon!! Not the one I had my eye on but he was a taker. I had been hunting pretty hard and I had to go to a fall festival that night, so I was going to take a night off but I am glad I went!! I figured I could do both that night- hunt then go to the festival. I just had a feeling I needed to go that night, kind of like every other day but something told me that it was the night - GO! Mabey it was the day- gloomy and a cold front that came in or the perfect wind for that stand. The last couple of days I had not seen a buck any bigger than a forky, We had a full moon so I just figured they were moving later at night. But friday night the moon was not so full and it was real cloudy. I set out for my stand enjoying the fall weather and the changing of the leaves. I started to cross the creek and spooked a doe a yearling and 2 long beards that flew over me. I got to the stand and I was not seeing much, a few does and yearlings one little spike and a couple of little critters. Then right about when I said to myself your about to run out of shooting light, out of the corner of my eye I see a nice buck coming out of the corn so I gave a little grunt and started to head right my way. I got ready, and I knew that if he kelp on the same path he was going to run right into my wind, unless I get to him first!! He was walking right up a path, so I looked for my opening to get my shot. All the while keeping my eye on him he stopped to lick a branch and rub his tercels. I pulled back and he walked right into my opening and it was the last place I would be able to get a shot at him. I put that pin right behind the shoulder and put my finger on the release and BINGO!!! He ran about 10 yards stopped for a few minutes, I could only see bits and pieces of him it is still real thick with the leaves and under brush here. Then he turned and walked right to the corn my thoughts were running wild DID I MISS HIM I thought to myself. I knew I had heard the impact shot and thought I seen the shot and it was a little far back. I also new that the Bowtech that I was shooting is quick and smooth and dialed in! Leaning side ways out of my latter stand I watched him as far in the corn as I could. Then I gave a little grunt and sat there trying to get my thought in order and out of the corn walks another buck, I could see antlers, and not sure if it is the same buck I just shot at. So I knocked another arrow. And to my relief it was a smaller buck. He came right up to where the other buck was lick-en and smelling around. I was not so sure about the shot. I waited until dark to try to look for my arrow and sneak out. I couldn't find my arrow and just backed out I figured with the shot being a little far back, Instead of running the risk of pushing him, I would just come back first light to try to find him. I went home to pick up everyone and my thoughts going about 100 miles an hour. Needless to say I only slept about 2 hours that night!!!! The next morning sitting and ready to go at 5:00 a.m. waiting for my other half to wake and go track this deer I was so nervous. We got back to the stand and found my arrow and knew that he was hit we started to track him, we found the blood trail and it was not heavy blood sign. You could see where he would stop for a while and leave some pretty heavy sign but then we would only find little drops. We tracked him through a green grass terrace and then corn then another terrace and more corn. Then my other half says to me "this buck has doubled back the tracks were going the other way". I was a little distraught at this point, not that I hadnt been the last 12 hours but now it was worse. How are we to know if he is coming or going? I thought. I have shot a bunch of critters and never had this much trouble finding any of them. So we double back in the next corn row and I hung back a little and my other half took and went to the other side of the grassy terrace. I seem him wave me over, then he said "he seen a little blood sign over there" then he tried to make me take the lead, which I thought was strange and told him to go first then he pointed down the corn row I looked and seen brown and there he was!!!!! I said "is that him?, is that him?" Of course it was!! OH what fun!!! So many ups and downs and lack of sleep the last 12 hours I felt great!!! Memories that will last a life time!!!! It was a 12 hour moment-event I will never forget!! I will get him entered soon guys. Good luck guys!!!