HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which powerbelts are you having trouble with
Old 06-13-2003, 09:41 AM
vERN
Spike

Default RE: Which powerbelts are you having trouble with

We got new inlines last year (my son and I) and tried both 245 and 295 hollow pt Powerbelts. It seemed that the 245' s grouped a little better so we went with them. My son hit a deer at about 75 yds. and nocked it right down, but it was lying there with its head up so he tried a 2nd shot - for the head- and missed. While reloading it got up and walked away. We tracked for about 3/4 mile and only found five 1/4 inch drops of blood in all that way. The next day we went back to the range and he settled on 320 Maxi' s and I tried the 295 all lead as I really liked the way they loaded. I hit a doe on the last day, at about 10 yds running. She droped about 35-40 yds with a hole through her front leg and a huge hole in her brisket but not a drop of blood until she dropped! I had been shooting the Hornady Lyman 385' s but they are rather hard to load, so may try the 350 or 370 maxi' s before next season. I had noted the very mixed performance on game with the Powerbelts on these pages. It' s too bad because they are so easy to load and don' t foul up the barel with plastic like some others, but we don' t use them for punching holes in paper.