HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 05:10 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Check my amended post above, OH. That ravine is REALLY deep/steep. I thought about it....and if I were a deer....the travel would be awesome as far as stealth....but you'd also be VERY vulnerable to predators in there. It's steep.....REALLy steep/deep.

I thought I heard them coming down the ridge on the other side.....and when Lisa picked me up at the road at dark.....she said there were three deer in the field....lol. She also said she saw two there (right near the road) when she was coming home from the gym at about 6:30.

I just couldn't get over how big those woods are once you're in them. I feel like a complete ass for not looking at this piece any harder than I have. I guess the good side of that is.....these woods haven't been pressured. I'm gonna head up on that ridge (to hunt one of those spots....first time I get a good wind. I may even go to the most northern stand tomorrow night....as they're forecasting a SW wind.
Jeff,
I don't think they'll walk directly in the ravine, but they'll use a lip along one side or the other of it. As Mauser alluded to, it's gonna work as a funnel, you just have to figure out which way it works. A place I just got permission on is full of these STEEP ravines, and I'm not 100% sure how to hunt it yet, but if I do kill something there, I'll have some WORK to do to get it out!!!