HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk: Recommend .270 or 30/06 hot/flat-shooting ammo?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:54 PM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk: Recommend .270 or 30/06 hot/flat-shooting ammo?

ORIGINAL: SILVERTIP-CO

I use Hornady Light Magnum ammo in my 30-06 and Hornady Heavy Magnum ammo in my 7mm Rem Mag, both for western long range big game hunting. Both are a bit pricey but you can't handload ammo this good.

Gary Olen sells the full line of Hornady Mag ammo at the cheapest prices I have seen at http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=145882

( no, I dont work for him )
Having just obtained a 30-06 I am curious how you felt the Hornady light magnum did on elk? As I understand it, they use the interlock bullet, which is basically their version on a core-lokt type bullet. I have used the 270 light magnum with the interlock and it seemed to me that the bullet would fragment if I hit anything substantial.

Therefore, I was wondering if the interbond might be a better choice (in their Custom line)

And at least on paper, the new TSX and trophy bonded tip bullets look superior to the interlock. However, the proof is in the puddin! If it works it works. Has the interlock worked well in all situations for you? TIA