HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - OK wind players.....
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 PM
shed33
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK wind players.....

I will not compromise the windin and onany big bucks turf. I used to roll the dice at times relying on my scent minimization. I often can nottrust what the weather forcast states because the mountains here do funky things with the wind, instead I use a tactic were I enter an "area" and have multiple options to choose frombased on the wind/thermals that I find at that very instant. Once I get close to my area of choice which usually meansvery close to a used bedding area Ithen pick what I feel is my best option for the hunt that evening. (Its like getting to the line of scrimmage and calling the best play I can after I assess what the defense is going to give me from a scheme standpoint.) Sometimes it means walking an extra 1/2 mile around a mountain and entering it from the back side. Sometimes it means tucking into a ground blind only 20-30 yards from a stand that just wont work that evening due to the winds. Nevertheless, I always an will only hunt a big buck if and ONLY ifthe wind is right. That used to not be the case...

As far as scent minimization goes, I adhere to a very strict regimen moreso for residual scent thatI will be leaving behind. I expect toexit the area leaving very little evidence that I was there and I expect a buck that finds my scent streameither during the hunt ( he gets down wind or he's oneI elect to pass on) or he shows up wellunder the darkness of night when hes out hounddogging... I expect himto pick up what he would translate as a weaker odor and less threatening, like I hadbeen there many hours oreven days earlier. One that I feel will allow me to hunt that area again without him changing his routine.

As far as the RUT goes..(which this thread isnt referring to Iassume)Play/huntthe down wind side of travel routessitting in a funnel, on an edge,saddleor inside corner, and kill the big boys that get towed past by the shelas...